link2205 link2206 link2207 link2208 link2209 link2210 link2211 link2212 link2213 link2214 link2215 link2216 link2217 link2218 link2219 link2220 link2221 link2222 link2223 link2224 link2225 link2226 link2227 link2228 link2229 link2230 link2231 link2232 link2233 link2234 link2235 link2236 link2237 link2238 link2239 link2240 link2241 link2242 link2243 link2244 link2245 link2246 link2247 link2248 link2249 link2250 link2251 link2252 link2253 link2254 link2255 link2256 link2257 link2258 link2259 link2260 link2261 link2262 link2263 link2264 link2265 link2266 link2267 link2268 link2269 link2270 link2271 link2272 link2273 link2274 link2275 link2276 link2277 link2278 link2279 link2280 link2281 link2282 link2283 link2284 link2285 link2286 link2287 link2288 link2289 link2290 link2291 link2292 link2293 link2294 link2295 link2296 link2297 link2298 link2299 link2300 link2301 link2302 link2303 link2304 link2305 link2306 link2307 link2308 link2309 link2310 link2311 link2312 link2313 link2314 link2315 link2316 link2317 link2318 link2319 link2320 link2321 link2322 link2323 link2324 link2325 link2326 link2327 link2328 link2329 link2330 link2331 link2332 link2333 link2334 link2335 link2336 link2337 link2338 link2339 link2340 link2341 link2342 link2343 link2344 link2345 link2346 link2347 link2348 link2349 link2350 link2351

Tag: Stephane Ogden

A Busy Day with My Son

A busy day with my Son.

Yesterday was expected to be decision day for my son, regarding impending Surgery, to deal with his brain tumour. Having a consultant based in London when you live in Manchester adds to the challenge. So I arranged to pick him up and travel with him by car to London.

I set off home in Bolsover just before 0700, with an estimated journey time to Manchester of two hours. I had allowed extra time due to possible ice conditions passing over the Pennines. Weather was not however a problem but Monday morning traffic heading to Manchester was with Long queue, so the journey extended to two and half hours.

I picked up Stephane and after a couple of false starts getting orientated with the GPS on my phone we were heading South. My plan was to travel down the M6 and then turn off onto the A50 and join the M1, however, however when Stephane was checking his phone is showed two blockages on the route. Then Traffic news confirmed the Junction off the M6 was closed, so we reverted to plan B and took the M6 Toll road. We needed to catch the 1407 train at Milton Keynes to travel into London. News then came in to say that trains between Milton Keynes and London were being delayed for 30 minutes due to an Accident in the morning.

We started to panic as we had a tight schedule and did not expect delays. By this time we knew we would arrive at Milton Keynes park and ride, early so decided to get top the rail station as fast as possible, so that if trains were still be delayed we could catch an Earlier one, but we would need to buy new tickets.

As things turned out our planned train was due to arrive on time. So panic over. Once again we got a little lost orientating our selves but finally arrived in good time at the Neurological hospital. We had to wait some 30 minutes for Stephan’s consultant to see us. The Consultant showed us Stephane’s previous MRI scans and explained that the tumour was touching his brain stem and there is a high risk of further damaging the optic nerve. I would seem that Proton therapy is not an option at the moment wlist the tumour is so close to brain stem as it would damage the brain stem.

The consultant asked Stephane if he was ready to commit to surgery Stephane replied by saying that his sight was very important and he would only risk damaging his sight if it was necessary. The Consultant examined his eyes and made notes about his existing restricted fields of vision. We had some discussions and it became apparent that another MRI scan would be needed to see if there had been any change with the tumour, If the tumour is not growing it may be possible to delay operating and instead try radio therapy as an option. If the tumour is growing them probably an operation would be required earlier.

Unlike Stephane’s previous consultant, his new one is prepared to operate, but warned that he needs to see what kind of tissue the tumour is made up from and this can only be discovered by an exploratory procedure which may result it in one of two outcomes, backing out of the procedure to avoid further damage or completion which might open the door for future proton therapy..

Whilst we we there, he arranged a blood test and we tried to see is the MRI machine was available later in the evening, as it was not, we turned to plan B and are arranging an MRI Scan in the coming weeks to be completed in the morning with a consultation later in the day to plan the way ahead,

The slow progress is a little disappointing and will mean another trip to London before matters can be resolved. We left London during the rush hour by train and were concerned about the amount of traffic leaving Milton Keynes, however as it turns out little was going North so it took some one and half hours to drive home to Bolsover.

We had been on the move all day apart from grabbing a Subway sandwich at the station and so we went out for an evening meal and a pint at 2100 hour.

Stephane stayed overnight and I drove him home this morning and we are now awaiting an update from the Hospital

 

Alan Zibluk Markethive Founding Member