link2940 link2941 link2942 link2943 link2944 link2945 link2946 link2947 link2948 link2949 link2950 link2951 link2952 link2953 link2954 link2955 link2956 link2957 link2958 link2959 link2960 link2961 link2962 link2963 link2964 link2965 link2966 link2967 link2968 link2969 link2970 link2971 link2972 link2973 link2974 link2975 link2976 link2977 link2978 link2979 link2980 link2981 link2982 link2983 link2984 link2985 link2986 link2987 link2988 link2989 link2990 link2991 link2992 link2993 link2994 link2995 link2996 link2997 link2998 link2999 link3000 link3001 link3002 link3003 link3004 link3005 link3006 link3007 link3008 link3009 link3010 link3011 link3012 link3013 link3014 link3015 link3016 link3017 link3018 link3019 link3020 link3021 link3022 link3023 link3024 link3025 link3026 link3027 link3028 link3029 link3030 link3031 link3032 link3033 link3034 link3035 link3036 link3037 link3038 link3039 link3040 link3041 link3042 link3043 link3044 link3045 link3046 link3047 link3048 link3049 link3050 link3051 link3052 link3053 link3054 link3055 link3056 link3057 link3058 link3059 link3060 link3061 link3062 link3063 link3064 link3065 link3066 link3067 link3068 link3069 link3070 link3071 link3072 link3073 link3074 link3075 link3076 link3077 link3078 link3079 link3080 link3081 link3082 link3083 link3084 link3085 link3086

Tag: Brain tumour

A Busy Day with My Son

A busy day with my Son.

Yesterday was expected to be decision day for my son, regarding impending Surgery, to deal with his brain tumour. Having a consultant based in London when you live in Manchester adds to the challenge. So I arranged to pick him up and travel with him by car to London.

I set off home in Bolsover just before 0700, with an estimated journey time to Manchester of two hours. I had allowed extra time due to possible ice conditions passing over the Pennines. Weather was not however a problem but Monday morning traffic heading to Manchester was with Long queue, so the journey extended to two and half hours.

I picked up Stephane and after a couple of false starts getting orientated with the GPS on my phone we were heading South. My plan was to travel down the M6 and then turn off onto the A50 and join the M1, however, however when Stephane was checking his phone is showed two blockages on the route. Then Traffic news confirmed the Junction off the M6 was closed, so we reverted to plan B and took the M6 Toll road. We needed to catch the 1407 train at Milton Keynes to travel into London. News then came in to say that trains between Milton Keynes and London were being delayed for 30 minutes due to an Accident in the morning.

We started to panic as we had a tight schedule and did not expect delays. By this time we knew we would arrive at Milton Keynes park and ride, early so decided to get top the rail station as fast as possible, so that if trains were still be delayed we could catch an Earlier one, but we would need to buy new tickets.

As things turned out our planned train was due to arrive on time. So panic over. Once again we got a little lost orientating our selves but finally arrived in good time at the Neurological hospital. We had to wait some 30 minutes for Stephan’s consultant to see us. The Consultant showed us Stephane’s previous MRI scans and explained that the tumour was touching his brain stem and there is a high risk of further damaging the optic nerve. I would seem that Proton therapy is not an option at the moment wlist the tumour is so close to brain stem as it would damage the brain stem.

The consultant asked Stephane if he was ready to commit to surgery Stephane replied by saying that his sight was very important and he would only risk damaging his sight if it was necessary. The Consultant examined his eyes and made notes about his existing restricted fields of vision. We had some discussions and it became apparent that another MRI scan would be needed to see if there had been any change with the tumour, If the tumour is not growing it may be possible to delay operating and instead try radio therapy as an option. If the tumour is growing them probably an operation would be required earlier.

Unlike Stephane’s previous consultant, his new one is prepared to operate, but warned that he needs to see what kind of tissue the tumour is made up from and this can only be discovered by an exploratory procedure which may result it in one of two outcomes, backing out of the procedure to avoid further damage or completion which might open the door for future proton therapy..

Whilst we we there, he arranged a blood test and we tried to see is the MRI machine was available later in the evening, as it was not, we turned to plan B and are arranging an MRI Scan in the coming weeks to be completed in the morning with a consultation later in the day to plan the way ahead,

The slow progress is a little disappointing and will mean another trip to London before matters can be resolved. We left London during the rush hour by train and were concerned about the amount of traffic leaving Milton Keynes, however as it turns out little was going North so it took some one and half hours to drive home to Bolsover.

We had been on the move all day apart from grabbing a Subway sandwich at the station and so we went out for an evening meal and a pint at 2100 hour.

Stephane stayed overnight and I drove him home this morning and we are now awaiting an update from the Hospital

 

Alan Zibluk Markethive Founding Member